banner

Friday, December 26, 2014

A Linus Locke Opinion Blocke - Ninja Turtles (2014)

Hello everyone,

Linus here with a quick opinion of the new Ninja Turtles movie (2014). I know, it has been out for a while now, you've read your favorite critic's reviews and seen it yourself, but I feel like I need to take the time to voice my own thoughts. I am a huge fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I have been my entire life. I have tons of old action figures that I saved as a child. Plus, I have this really awesome wall clock that I've had as long as I can remember, literally, but none of my family can seem to remember getting for me.


With that being said, I held out for awhile when the new Ninja Turtles movie came out. I didn't see it right away because I felt it was going to suck and ruin my childhood. Some of my other friends hated it, and it received tons of mixed reviews. I sat down last night (on Christmas) and watched the movie with my kids. I really wanted to hate it, as I assumed it was going to be terrible.

In reality, I liked it. It wasn't as great as it could have been, but I don't see why I should hate it. It had the Ninja Turtles and some kick ass fights. The action held my interest, and Will Arnett's Vernon was a fun character, and I really didn't expect that. After all of the death threats I'm sure Michael Bay and the writing team received, they did a fine enough job with the back story, and even set up some interesting possibilities for the future.

The only real issues I had were with character design. I think the turtles were far too muscular, especially Raphael.  He is a freaking beast! They didn't need to be that muscular at all. Martial Arts isn't about size, and I think the turtles could have been smaller in that respect. However, I can see Raph being much larger than his brothers, as this Raph strikes me as the kind of guy who feels he needs to be muscular - if that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is he feels that muscle equals power... maybe.

The shredder was kind of lame, too. I really don't like his suit, and it is sad when the original movies that came out in the early 90's, lacking the technology we have today, can make him look more menacing than he looks now. I do understand the creative decision to use CGI, as much as I don't really care for it. I feel that was the best way to pull off the fight scenes without live actors being restricted by heavy costumes and makeup. But on the other hand, I'm sure there are other ways around that. I also think that the movie did a good job nailing down the personalities of the turtles, and I like Donatello's glasses. I don't know why, but I think that was a fun touch.

Overall, the movie isn't bad, and it is worth watching. If you want the best possible Ninja Turtle experience, however, I would recommend just watching the TMNT movies from the 90's - minus TMNT 3...

And don't think that if you hate it it will ruin your childhood. The great memories of our childhoods will always be there, and the movies, shows, toys, and comics from our childhoods will always be the same. If you hate this movie, just put it behind you and remember what you loved when you first saw the turtles as a kid. After all, they are a group of ass kicking giant turtles. Don't take it too seriously and enjoy the experience.

Thanks for reading
Linus

No comments:

Post a Comment