banner

Monday, October 27, 2014

On Writing #1

The more I think about my writing the more conflicted I become about it. I love doing it. I love creating worlds and people. I'm just not sure who is really in control. When I first started writing Decay: Civilization I created my characters and made an outline of the whole story. Everything I planned to have happen failed, so I went back and just let it flow naturally. I allowed the characters to drive the story. I gave them total control of what happened, and I think it was amazing.

I'm by no means saying that my method for writing is better than creating a good outline or planning it out any other way. I'm certainly not saying that I am some sort of creative genius (although I'm sure I am), but allowing the creativity to just flow is so much fun. Allowing your stories to shape themselves is a great way to really understand yourself. Everyone has their own method, their own creative style, so finding yours is what is really important in not only writing well, but enjoying the time you spend writing.

Thanks for listening

Linus Locke

No comments:

Post a Comment